Marriage certificates in New South Wales (NSW), Australia are only issued if the marriage took place and was registered in the state. People that have recently been married need to check with their marriage celebrant to ensure that registration paperwork was submitted before they can apply for a marriage certificate NSW.

You can only apply for a marriage certificate if you are one of the people in the marriage. If you are a child of the married couple seeking their marriage certificate it can only be issued to you if both partners are deceased; you will also need to provide three forms of identification. In addition, a marriage certificate can be issued to a person not in the marriage if they are an authorised representative of either of the persons in the marriage and have additional documentation such as a letter of authority, a power of attorney pertaining to either person in the marriage or are a solicitor acting for one of the people named in the marriage certificate.