Being self reliant means that you approach challenges that you encounter with your own skills, capabilities and resources and do not need to seek the help of others. It means you are open to new ideas and concepts, are independent and rely on yourself based on your own understanding and unique experiences. The more self reliant a person is, the safer they feel when faced with problems and issues.
Some signs of self reliance are that you:
• Have a clear sense of self and your identity.
• Recognize that you are responsible for your life choices.
• Do not rely on other people for your emotional state.
• Are able to regulate your feelings, thoughts and judgments so that you do not jump to obvious or false conclusions.
• Have a capacity to see that even when things go wrong they are endurable and a solution can be found.
• Are aware of your strengths and weaknesses and are not dependent on the judgments of others.